MAWWFRS Corporate Plan 2018-2023
The Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Authority has published its Corporate Plan 2018-2023. The Plan sets out the Authority’s Strategic Priorities for the next five years – together with its twelve Improvement Objectives for the year ahead (2018/19).
The Service deals with the consequences of Road Traffic Collisions (RTC) and the impact they have on human life and communities on a daily basis, with significantly more injured people rescued from RTCs than from fires. Education and intervention is key to reducing the number of RTCs on Welsh roads and the Service has a shared role in delivering this along with other road safety partners.
Even though road safety has improved considerably in recent years, figures released for April 2016 show that Road Traffic Collisions in Wales are not achieving the causalty reduction targets set out in the Wales Road Safety Framework.
The three Fire and Rescue Services in Wales have developed a Road Safety Strategy for 2015 - 2020 to support the aims of Welsh Government’s Road Safety Framework for Wales, and to support road safety partners, MAWWFRS will focus on Young People, Motorcyclists, and Older Drivers by:
- Supporting the Welsh Government review of the Welsh Road Safety Framework. MAWWFRS will be responsible for delivering on the Behavioural Change element of the Strategy Review and will present its findings to Welsh Government by the end of the year.
- Host a Road Safety event that will bring together our road safety partners in Wales to engage with a range of drivers on key safety messages such as the Fatal 5.
- Deliver activities to improve the safety of motorcyclists on our roads through encouraging participation on motorcycle safety courses.
- Develop a multi-agency road safety youth intervention course that will target those young people who have been identified as being of high risk due to their behaviour on the roads.
- Target road safety education activities and intervention at older drivers.
- Utilise immersive experiences through technology to better present the dangers from driving irresponsibly.